Plants First, Fish Next

The original intent of this journal was to chronicle the trials and tribulations of the struggling twenty-something, as I searched for love and happiness in the small city-burb of ManchVegas, NH. Now, I'm thirty-something, I've found love in many forms, happiness in even more, and now the struggle is just... well... life. And finding time to do the million and one things I want to do- including writing.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

All the World is a Stage

So I received an email from a theatre company, Ghostlight, that I have some ties to.  It was a sorta mass e-mail encouraging me to be a member again and subscribe to their season.  Feeling generous and bored at work I reviewed what they had on tap.  I was intrigued especially by one play.  I looked a bit farther into it and found that I was a bit captivated by a certain role... a female role... a female in her mid-to-late-20's role... good golly with some moisturizer I could play that role....

I read a bit of the script, though honestly not all.  I reached out to Shorty for advice and feedback.  Then I shoved the idea to not just the back burner, but the nosebleed seats burner.  It stewed on low like a crockpot on the counter.  I'm still not sure what the final result will be, but I'll be damned if I can't stop from stirring the pot, taking a big whiff and seeing if I like what's cooking.

The current auditions are at a time I can't make.  Bummer- and said as much.  Well, what do I get for opening my mouth but another possible opportunity: a second audition date, even farther away with a schedule to be determined.  Since I like to book myself eons ahead, this could be an issue.  However, the rehearsal schedule would ALSO demand I take time from my current schedule and possibly sacrifice some plans I had already made.  Am I ready for that?

Audition calls for a prepared monologue.  Cool- I've done that.  In college, and a bit after... so that means all the characters in those monologues are in their early 20's and the plays they come from are all slightly dated, like Kim Kardashian's sex tape or Double Rainbow Guy's youtube video..  It's not that it's not entertaining, but.... well, we've heard it before.

So now I'm in a position... do I want to do all this work for possibly very little payoff?  What if it does pay off and I get the role and I can't do some of the runs or hikes I had planned?  Do I even still have that spark that a few special people saw in me once?  I feel the passion and the drive... Will that be enough for me?  If I prepare and don't get this, will that be ok?  If I prepare and I do get this, will that be ok?

Tomorrow I will search for a new monologue.  And we'll go from there.

 Ballet in first grade- this is where I learned I am NOT graceful.

College- where I had to dance again, but at least it was "modern" and "Greek"


Pocket found my true talent: awkward.  Yes, I'm pooping on a laptop.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 9:18 AM , Blogger Heather said...

    Oooh, that's exciting! I say you should go for it. I miss Leah On Stage. Yes.

    I have decreed it.

    Do not defy your I Phelta Thi sister. (The college picture made me think of that.)

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Blogger leeapeea said...

    I found the Samuri picture too... ;-)

     
  • At 3:17 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    You never really develop an immunity to the acting bug. Go for it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home