Plants First, Fish Next

The original intent of this journal was to chronicle the trials and tribulations of the struggling twenty-something, as I searched for love and happiness in the small city-burb of ManchVegas, NH. Now, I'm thirty-something, I've found love in many forms, happiness in even more, and now the struggle is just... well... life. And finding time to do the million and one things I want to do- including writing.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Compare and Contrast

I built a little spread sheet (because who doesn't like spread sheets?) comparing the car models I was interested in.  It helps me consider what the advantages and disadvantages are.

The biggest problem I have is that the prices aren't really going to be the prices.  I mean, how often do you hear about floor mats being "thrown in" or negotiating a discount on the model that's on the floor or whatever.  Still, it's what I got from building the cars on their individual websites as closely as I could match them.



Sorted by cheapest to most expensive.  I created the cars trying to get the three "options" that I'd really like to have, though as you can see I couldn't build the Fiesta or the Yaris with cruise control for some reason...  Still, since they're already topping the price list range and not offering very much in the way of cargo room (or any room in the Yaris' case).  It looks like I get the most from the Fit with the least amount of money as "options" that are important to me come standard.  The Nissan Versa is coming in a close second in the numbers game, though almost EVERYTHING is an add on, so we'll see what the real-world add-up is.  The Kia Soul + is in the top running as well; definitely the most distinctive vehicle of the group.

It's time to start setting up test drives.  Per Consumer Reports, I should have a checklist for inside and out (there example is WAY more thorough than I will ever be, but is a good reference), as well as a planned test driving route.  The route is planned to be about 45 minutes and includes all the types of driving I do: highway, city (residential and business), and dirt road.  They also recommended I call the dealership to make sure they at least have the model in the engine size and transmission I'm interested in so I can test the car I actually want, not the one they want to sell me.

I've got a lot going on, but I hope to set up at least the Honda, Nissan, and Kia test drives all on the same day and knock them out.  I'm sure I'll be taking notes and sharing my thoughts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home