Plants First, Fish Next

The original intent of this journal was to chronicle the trials and tribulations of the struggling twenty-something, as I searched for love and happiness in the small city-burb of ManchVegas, NH. Now, I'm thirty-something, I've found love in many forms, happiness in even more, and now the struggle is just... well... life. And finding time to do the million and one things I want to do- including writing.

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Too Young for a Midlife Crisis?

Ok, maybe not a "crisis," but certainly a huge but quiet shift in my life.

I've decided to take a break from theatre. Not a mini-break, not a "let's be friends" break, but a clean and hard "break me off a piece of that" kind of break. (guillotine swoosh) No more theatre.
I haven't been doing much of it lately anyways, and when I do it always feels like more of a chore than I want it to. I feel like it's taking away from other parts of my life. I like the results, I like being a part of it, but I don't want to make it a priority anymore, and I'd rather not half-ass my chosen art form.

This was a really difficult decision for me to come to. I'd been feeling mopey about my theatre projects for a while, though every now and then some new life and energy would get injected. Theatre is how I define myself... or how I did. I think that's the hardest part - now I'm not sure what defines me.

I'm not sure how long this break will last, but I can guess it would be a while. I've been accepting jobs from YTP when they're offered because I do always like SOME aspect of working with that company (namely: spending time with Pocket) but now Pockets moving to bigger and better things and YTP is closing its doors. Nothing is compelling me to be a part of this art form right now, and the prospect of having more time to spend on my personal projects, with friends and family, training, and playing hockey fills me with joy.

That being said - if you're in the area please come see what my be my last project for a long while. YTP is producing an evening of short plays from playwrights we love - Lowell Williams (playwright in residence), Brian Dykstra (I'm directing his show - it's pretty awesome and I'm glad I love the script), and Neil LaBute. The shows are 12/12 at 8pm and 12/13 at 6pm. If you're interested and want more info, let me know.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home