Plants First, Fish Next

The original intent of this journal was to chronicle the trials and tribulations of the struggling twenty-something, as I searched for love and happiness in the small city-burb of ManchVegas, NH. Now, I'm thirty-something, I've found love in many forms, happiness in even more, and now the struggle is just... well... life. And finding time to do the million and one things I want to do- including writing.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Meet the Parents

Using my Google Calendar and Facebook, I figured out that My Runner and I have been dating for a little over four months now. While he's technically met my parents (twice), they've never really MET. Next week, Mom and Mr. Fixit are coming over to my apartment, My Runner is cooking dinner, and we're all gonna have fun. Right? RIGHT??

I'm mostly not worried. The first "meeting" went really quite well, and he made a good impression. During my Calamity Jane week when we first started dating (I swear I'll post the origin story soon - I'm working on it), My Runner dropped me off at my parent's house to pick up a loaner car while Mr. Fixit worked on mine. I introduced everyone, Mr. Fixit and My Runner exchanged a few words about what he'd already done with the car, and then he took off. As soon as he was out of the driveway, Mr. Fixit leaned over to me and said, "Good first impression. And that's the most important one."

Lemme give you an impression of Mr. Fixit, if you're not already familiar with him. He's a man's man. He grew up on a farm in Pennsylvania, he was in Vietnam, he's a mechanic, he hunts and ice-fishes, owns a boat, a Harley, and a pickup, and he almost single-handedly built the following on my Mom's property: a shed, a car port, a garage, and an 8' extension of the entire house. He's handy, needless to say, and very independent. He's friendly and quick with a smile, but doesn't suffer fools and can smell a rat a mile away. And he almost never likes the guy I'm with. So, when Mr. Fixit approves, I knew I had something special.

I turned to my Mom. "What did you think?" I mean, I'm glad Mr. Fixit liked him - that would make life easier. But Mom is, well, MOM. Her opinion is important to me. "Well, he's very cute." Thanks, Mom, noticed that one. "But don't you think it's too soon? I don't want to see you get hurt."

::sigh:: yeah. It probably was technically too soon. After all, The Boy had only been out of the house for a month. And My Runner wasn't long out of his previous relationship either. But I felt like my relationship with The Boy had ended long before it actually ended. My Runner and I were open and honest about where we both were emotionally. We were just taking it one day at a time, not rushing into anything. Explaining this to Mom did not make that worried look leave her face, though. I knew I'd have to get them together - once she knew him and decided to like him (or not) she could be as worried (or not) as she wanted.

SO. Here we are, four months later, and finally we're all finding the time in our schedules to sit down and have a meal together. I'm nervous, sure. What will we talk about? Will I accidentally go overboard with liquid libation and say something stupid? Will Mom? Or Mr. Fixit? What if the plans fall through? What if Brother Mine ends up being in Manchester that night and joins us too - will that be better? Worse?

Wow... I'm a little more nervous than I thought. But I know My Runner. He's charming and open and friendly. He's offered to cook for the evening, which is generous and a smart move (gives him something to do other than be interrogated by my family, plus he's a great cook). I am a product of my environment, and Mom and Mr. Fixit are very much like me. If My Runner enjoys my company, he'll likely enjoy theirs.

Even knowing the likelihood of disaster is small, my stomach tightens a little when I see "Dinner w/ Parents" on my calendar. It's important to me that Mom and Mr. Fixit enjoy My Runner's company, and vice-versa. And knowing that I have little-to-no control over the situation is making me anxious. Any words or thoughts you want to share would be helpful at this time. :-)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home