Plants First, Fish Next

The original intent of this journal was to chronicle the trials and tribulations of the struggling twenty-something, as I searched for love and happiness in the small city-burb of ManchVegas, NH. Now, I'm thirty-something, I've found love in many forms, happiness in even more, and now the struggle is just... well... life. And finding time to do the million and one things I want to do- including writing.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Growing Up Is Hard to Do

I made the difficult, if responsible, decision to NOT purchase a new car this spring.

Why?  After I put you all through the mind-numbing car research posts?  The wishing and hoping?  The bitching about my current car?  As much as I would like a new car, the security of having no consumer debt and a cushion of savings seems WAY sweeter than being able to hook my mp3 player up directly to my car's sound system and have 10 cup holders.

I looked at my credit card balance the other day and noted that with my current payment schedule I would be payed off in one or two months- right on time with the "car" schedule.  This frees up $300 or more a month to throw at other debts, savings, or once-a-year expenses (June is registration and inspection month...)

So, as much as I want a new car, none of the vehicles I looked at excited me more than seeing the end of my consumer debt.  I'm even excited to amp up my savings!  This is such an old-fogey decision, I know, but I'm coming to peace with it.

Of course, now I have to actually SAVE and not spend this money on things like shoes, new clothes, and top-shelf gin.  Maybe I'm not growing up as fast as I think.....

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home