Plants First, Fish Next

The original intent of this journal was to chronicle the trials and tribulations of the struggling twenty-something, as I searched for love and happiness in the small city-burb of ManchVegas, NH. Now, I'm thirty-something, I've found love in many forms, happiness in even more, and now the struggle is just... well... life. And finding time to do the million and one things I want to do- including writing.

Monday, May 03, 2010

Personality Sponge- Soak it Up

A friend recently made a comment that when I'm seeing someone I take on their personality and do whatever that person likes to do.  And to a certain extent this is true.  But is it a bad thing?

It's true that I wasn't really "a runner" before I met My Runner.  I was, however, running as warmup for hockey. Since I've been with My Runner not only did I dive headlong into the world of running I also rediscovered my love for hiking and being in the woods.  This same friend once asked me if I actually like running, or if I just do it because My Runner is doing it.  It's a good question.  I'm a social person, so I like running MORE when I'm running with someone.  I'm also not very disciplined, so if no one else I know is running, I'm likely to not run.  Currently, almost everyone I know that runs I've met through My Runner, so it's hard to say if I'm running *because* of My Runner.  I know I do enjoy it.  I love spending time with these people, challenging myself, and having new experiences.

As you know I also play hockey.  Why?  Because of Cap'n Mop.  I NEVER would have picked up a hockey stick if it weren't for knowing him.  And if Cap'n Mop moved far far away, I'm not entirely sure I would maintain my hockey playing.  I love the game, it's fun to play in a team sport, but I'm really there because my friends are there.  It's pretty parallel to me running with My Runner.

So, when does this move from expanding my interests to abandoning my personality?  I've put all theatre on hold.  My "home improvement" project recovering a chair has been on the sidelines for months now.  Even the books I'm reading have been running books.  New items in my home and wardrobe are purchased with the idea that I can use them outside when running or hiking.

These changes have all been conscious decisions.  I don't regret them, and I thought long and hard before making my choices (ok, not THAT long and hard about the chair project, but still...)  Activities are not what defines me.  What defines me is my interactions with the world and the people in my life, and that hasn't changed.  Perhaps the amount of time I spend with people has changed as I've met new friends, but I still love my friends and family from the bottom of my heart and with incredible loyalty.  I still strive to enjoy all the moments I get to share with people in this life.  THAT'S what defines me, not what I do, but how I do it.

Have I soaked up personalities along the way?  Yes.  And I'm happy to do that.  It's part of what makes me who I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home