Plants First, Fish Next

The original intent of this journal was to chronicle the trials and tribulations of the struggling twenty-something, as I searched for love and happiness in the small city-burb of ManchVegas, NH. Now, I'm thirty-something, I've found love in many forms, happiness in even more, and now the struggle is just... well... life. And finding time to do the million and one things I want to do- including writing.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Empathy Sucks


Did you ever watch Star Trek the Next Generation and think, huh, Deanna Troi is really hot, has really great hair, has horrible taste in men, is lucky to have a super power like empathy?  Well, I'm here to tell you it sucks.  Whenever people around you are upset, and in this world that can be a lot, you become upset.  If you're trying to stay focused and on-task but everyone else is bouncing off the walls?  Good luck to you.

I just can't help it.  I know empathy is what makes me great at art, and why I'm good at the customer service aspect of my work.  I know it's helped me be a better friend in the past.  But right now I'd give anything to make it go away.  It's like having a compass but being surrounded by magnets.  Instead of finding your way you're more lost.

I know, it's great when your friends are happy and can lift you from a mood.  It's fantastic to be a part of the energy of the crowd.  Blah blah blah.  Today, not sure if the pros outweigh the cons.

I'm in a bit of a mood today (shocking to hear, I know).  It's sunny and sorta warm and I really should put on my sneakers and go running today.  Cue up some Cake on the ipod and I'll be feeling fine. And maybe I will.  But right now, Grumpus is running the show and he ain't giving up the stage.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM , Blogger Heather said...

    Grumpus is so cute! How can he be bad?

    Sometimes, saying out loud that I am a "crankypants" makes me smile when I feel like kicking puffins. It's hard to stay made when you say "crankypants."

    But maybe that's just me.

    (My word verification is "gruck." Seems appropriate.)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home