Plants First, Fish Next

The original intent of this journal was to chronicle the trials and tribulations of the struggling twenty-something, as I searched for love and happiness in the small city-burb of ManchVegas, NH. Now, I'm thirty-something, I've found love in many forms, happiness in even more, and now the struggle is just... well... life. And finding time to do the million and one things I want to do- including writing.

Monday, October 05, 2009

Trapeze, part duex

Went to my second trapeze class this Sunday and it was just as awesome as the first. Unfortunately Pocket Sized and G. couldn't make this one, which was a bummer. My other classmates were pretty great, though. There was a dad with his two kids, all of whom were outgoing and friendly. The kids gave me hugs at the end of class and told me I did a great job. How awesome is that? The other classmate was a woman who had been taking circus classes for about ten years. She's an actuary in real life, so I'm sure the fun and thrill of trapeze and silks is a big draw. She was working on a twist trick that looked like a lot of fun, and made me even more determined to keep up with it.

I only learned one new trick this time - the Slip Split. Ultimately you end up with one leg against the bar and the other leg hanging forward in a "split" (which was not very split-y with my inflexibility). You then launch yourself off the bar to be caught.

Launch is definitely the appropriate word. After practicing the trick a few times and only mostly getting it right it was time to work on catching. EVERYONE told me not to go too early - wait for the catcher's "hup." EVERYONE. The catcher, the spotter, the launcher, all of them. And I was determined to listen - don't let go too- whoops. I let go too early. I'm sure the catcher was anticipating it, though, and while it was messy, we landed the catch. The next and final time we did the catch I waited for the "hup" and the timing was pretty perfect. All in all, I'm happy about my progress and can't wait for the next class.

Posted some pictures and my mom reminded me of a piece of my childhood - we had a swing set in the back yard in NJ (over a concrete slab - I credit the nightly glass of milk for my miraculous lack of broken bones) that included two swings, a "tire" swing, and a little trapeze bar with some ring handles. I spent 95% of my outdoor time on that swing set, and the trapeze bar was a favorite. I *loved* hanging upside-down, swinging, flipping on the rings. Later my dad added gym rings (no bar in between), and I (ever wanting faster, higher, spinnier) added a little jogging trampoline. ::bounce, flip, bounce, flip:: repeat ad nauseum.

I think I like the sense of being out of control but in control. Sending the world topsy-turvey, feeling the air rush around my face and body, the joy of motion whipping around me like my mane of hair....

I'm so happy to have found a place in my adult life where I can regain some of that. And I like the added challenge of learning tricks. As happy as I am to be sailing through the air, the adult in me likes to justify it with learning. The challenge of 1) getting all the steps right and 2) making it look good feels so familiar - like theatre. Well, it *is* theatre in a way. Especially since my classes take place in the lobby of a rather large shopping center. You know, I think the audience is part of the fun, but that's just me. :-)

I have one more class that I've paid for, and then I think I'll be looking to take a 10 or 12 week class. That's a pretty big commitment both financially and time-wise. Classes are 2 hours each, and the location is 45 minutes (on a good day) away. I think the sacrifice will be well worth it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dude, you're taking aerial classes! Now we can bond on a circus freak level! My school had open workouts, too, so next time you're in NYC, maybe we can go together.

     
  • At 9:34 AM , Blogger Kristin Marie said...

    Welcome to Blogger Leah! Always love reading your writing. :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home